The Bainbridge Firm, LLC
Schedule a Free Initial Consultation

Toll Free: 800-762-1612

Columbus : 614-545-9990

Portsmouth : 740-353-7548

Ironton :740-532-9772

Marion : 740-387-6727

Cambridge : 740-435-3342

Waverly : 740-835-8890

How do I choose a physician to help with my work-related injury?

After suffering a work-related injury, most people's first thought is to seek medical attention. This is an incredibly good idea because it helps assess the severity of the injury, which tells you how much time you will need for recovery. But on top of this, seeing a physician after suffering a work-related injury also provides the necessary documentation you need to help turn your claim for workers' compensation into actual benefits later on.

But if this is your first time filing for benefits, you might have some questions, especially about how the process works and the steps you need to take in order to make sure that your claim has the best chance of getting approved the first time through. One question you might have is one that we hope to answer in this week's blog post: how do I choose a physician to help with my work-related injury?

Let's take a look.

When a worker first becomes injured, their first question might be about where they can receive medical treatment. Can they go to their own physician or do they have to go to a doctor suggested by their employer? Thanks to several rules associated with the Hospital Preparedness Program, or HPP for short, injured workers have the right to see and be treated by the physician of their choice.

It's worth pointing out though that injured workers should make sure that this physician is considered a certified provider by the Bureau of Workers' compensation. If they are not BWC certified, receiving treatment from this physician could jeopardize a claim for benefits.

It's important to know too that an injured worker does have the right to change physicians as long they notify the proper managed care organization about the change. If the employer is self-insured, however, that request for change should be submitted directly to the employer.

Source: The Ohio Bureau of Workers' compensation, "Injured worker questions and answers (Q&A)," Accessed Oct. 20, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
email us for a response

Free Initial consultationCall us today for a free initial consultation. We promise to provide a response within a few hours.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


office locations - we have Multiple Locations to serve you.

The Bainbridge Firm, LLC

Columbus Office
900 Michigan Avenue
Columbus, OH 43215

Toll Free: 800-762-1612
Phone: 614-545-9990
Fax: 614-224-9300
Map & Directions

Portsmouth Office
611 Court Street
Portsmouth, OH 45662

Toll Free: 800-762-1612
Phone: 740-353-7548
Fax: 740-353-1984
Map & Directions

Ironton Office
119 North Fifth Street
Ironton, OH 45638

Toll Free: 800-762-1612
Phone: 740-532-9772
Fax: 740-532-3127
Map & Directions

Marion Office
198 East Center Street
Marion, OH 43302

Toll Free: 800-762-1612
Phone: 740-387-6727
Fax: 740-382-5816
Map & Directions

Cambridge Office
120 Southgate Parkway
Cambridge, Ohio 43725

Toll Free: 800-762-1612
Phone: 740-435-3342
Fax: 740-435-3329
Map & Directions

Waverly Office
112 North Market Street
Suite B
Waverly, OH 45690

Toll Free: 800-762-1612
Phone: 740-835-8890
Fax: 740-835-8891
Waverly Law Office Map