Although there is no law which says you need to hire a lawyer, in practical terms and regardless of how you feel about attorneys, it is difficult to handle a workers’ compensation case on your own. With trained adjustors working for the insurance companies who have lawyers at their everyday disposal, hiring a qualified attorney is essential. Unless your case is extremely simple, a good lawyer is important to protect your rights. Trying to handle your own case may save you a penny but cost you a pound in the long run.
Hiring a lawyer is critical in any of the following situations:
- The employer denies you were injured on the job
- The carrier has denied benefits
- You cannot get medical treatment
- You are not getting paid
- The adjustor promises benefits or care which never arrives
- An attorney for the employer or insurance company contacts you and wants to take a deposition
- You want to sue a third person- You begin to represent yourself and you encounter someone on the other side who is particularly difficult and is trying to take advantage of your lack of legal expertise
These are but a few of the situations which arise and should make you consider hiring an attorney. Remember, the more problems you encounter, the more you probably need representation. If you believe you may have a workers’ compensation claim after being injured on the job, contact the Bainbridge Firm for help.