by Kara Dolan-West | Sep 29, 2014 | General Information
Once you have reported an injury
- BWC assigns a claim number. This is a tracking number. The injured worker, employer and treating physician receive a letter notifying them of that number.
- BWC gathers the facts and makes an initial decision to allow or deny the claim. BWC makes a decision within 28 days. Then BWC issues a written legal notice, called a BWC Order, to the injured worker, employer and their representatives. Self-insuring employers make an initial decision whether or not to pay the claim within 30 days.
- If the injured worker or employer disagrees with the decision, either may file an appeal with the Industrial Commission of Ohio within 14 days of that decision.
- If your claim is ultimately allowed, BWC will pay your managed care organization (MCO) who will pay your doctor for medical services related to the allowed condition. If you are so seriously injured that you cannot return to work for eight or more days, BWC may also pay a percentage of the wages you have lost. Self-insuring employers will pay medical and compensation benefits.
- If your claim is disallowed, you will be responsible for any medical bills that incur as a result of your injury or occupational disease. In addition, you will not be eligible for any types of compensation available through BWC.
- If you are disabled for 90 days or more, medical exams may be scheduled to evaluate your progress. These exams are done to ensure that you are getting the proper treatment and to determine whether you can return to work.
- Rehabilitation programs: anyone can refer an injured worker to a rehabilitation program with services tailored to the individual needs of the injured worker. Such programs are coordinated by the MCOs.
- The ultimate goal – safe return to work.
If you would like assistance navigating the workers’ compensation system, please contact the Bainbridge Firm. We can help get you the compensation you deserve!
- Social Security and Disability Compensation
- Vocational Rehabilitation
- General Information
- Hearing Process
- In the News
- Psychological Conditions
- Workers' Compensation Benefits
- Workplace Accidents and Injuries
- Workers' Compensation in the News
- Workers' Compensation Programs